Questions help us focus our thoughts. The prerequisite of any thought is a question which is formulating in the mind, whether you are conscious of it or not. If questions are the mother of thoughts and if we’re to believe in the paradigm that our thoughts are ultimately what affects the way our very lives will turn out, for good or ill, then we should start on our questions, shouldn’t we?
Let us take conscious control of the questions we’re constantly asking ourselves from now on. To do so, let us go back to one of the most primitive techniques. To learn anything more effectively, it is best to ask ourselves some questions pertaining to the subject matter at hand. This is called the Socratic method. What are some of the questions we can ask ourselves about how to balance between going with the flow and going according to the plan?
Here are a few samples:
- How can my actions today possibly be inspired by some inner reckoning of a higher order or cosmic plan?
- Which of my actions or decisions today went against the plan that I’ve set for my- self? Why? Does it turn out better that way or could it have been better if I had stuck to my original plan?
- In spite of my being able to successfully go with the flow and actually getting some positive results from that, will I still be able to achieve the same level of performance if I were to start drafting out a specific, precise and definite plan?
- How can I balance between “letting go and letting God” and taking concrete, pragmatic, measurable steps towards my goal?
- What are the critical success factors, or the standards with which I must measure my performance, in order for me to have a certain measure of control over the outcomes of my actions and decisions?
- Which are the 20% of my actions or decisions that will affect 80% of my results and outcomes?
- How will I know if a certain gut feeling I have or an intuitive calling inside to act or choose a certain path is right and will bring about the best results for me?
- What is the pattern here? What characteristics of my intuitive gut feelings in the past has a track record of reckoning it as authentic and right?
- How will it turn out if I had done some- thing today in another way, instead of the way I had done it today?
- How do I know if the plan which I have drafted out is aligned with what I deem to be the higher cosmic intelligence working in my life?
Create some more questions of your own. Write them down in your journal and try to answer them through unrestrained, impulsive writing. Whatever comes up in your mind, just write it down. Do this session of questioning self- examination every day before you retire, for better success.
By now, if you have been adhering closely to a timetable, prioritising your task, and avoiding procrastination like the plague, you should be more equipped with being able to optimise your time and performing your tasks effectively. However, how can you be more completely sure that you have efficiently optimised your time for the day?
Introducing an interesting method called “The Reverse Flow Technique”. Don’t worry; it’s not as complicated as it sounds. It simply involves doing the following:
- List down the things you have done for the day.
- Join the list in the chronological order that you have performed them.
- Example: Bath, Breakfast, Work on Internet business, Lunch, Check email, Read newspaper, Work some more on Internet Business, Dinner, Watch tv, Sleep
Now reverse the order, starting from the last to the first task. Count the time taken for each task you performed. Accumulate the time taken. If the accumulated time is close to or very close to twenty four hours, then it means that you have efficiently optimised your time for the day. Congratulations! If not, work towards allocating appropriate and sufficient time the next time you do your tasks. Then repeat the reverse flow technique again and see if you have fully optimised the time for the day.
This is a simple yet effective way to check for time optimisation. But don’t worry if your accumulated time is less than 24 hours. This simply means that you may have to make a few adjustments to your goals, plans and your timetable to better manage your time.
What does everyone around you need the most right now? What is the one thing that you can offer to everyone that will solve a big problem for them and give much joy and satisfaction to them? What is the one thing that you could possibly need from everyone that would solve a big problem for you and give much joy and satisfaction to you? How can you give everyone else what you have to offer first, and then have them give you what you most need?
Is it a fair exchange? Is the thing that you have to offering to them equal or close in value (more, preferably) to what they have to offer to you?
Do you know why everyone around you thinks they way they do? Do you understand why everyone else is thinking their way? Do you even know, or understand what everyone else is thinking? How do you know what they are thinking? How do you know what they know? Why do you want to get everyone to think like you? Is it useful to get everyone to think the way you do? What would it achieve?
What is the best possible solution to everyone’s problems that you can think of right now? What can everyone offer to create this solution together? What is everyone willing to offer? What can you offer? What are you willing to offer? How can you bring together all that they have to offer with what you have to offer, to create the best possible solution for everyone? How can you inspire everyone to give more than what they are willing to offer, by first offering more than what you are willing to give at first?
How can you give more than what you usually give? How can you do better the things you usually do? What are the most important skills, abilities or knowledge that you have, which, when improved, even if slightly, could effect the most profound possible results for you and those you benefit? What are the key activities, rituals and manners of thinking that you can engage in every day, even if it be only for a few minutes, that if you put all your conscious attention and effort into, would tremendously compound the quality and the quantity of the results you elicit? Do them. Every day.
We have come to – not the end – but the completion of the journey of life- transforming thoughts and tips. The conclusion of one thing leads to the beginning of another. Those not aware of this truth shall always be left behind. Therefore, take a note of what is beginning right now. What does this closure lead you to? As the door to a new phase opens up to you, so should you open your mind and open your steps and open your arms to embrace it and take it and claim it as yours.